Radio Boulevard
Western Historic Radio Museum
 

WHRM Radio Photo Gallery
 

Radio Telegraphy - Straight Keys to Bugs

- Hand Keys -
- Flame-Proof Keys -
 - Semi-Automatic Telegraph Keys (Bugs) -
- Telegraph Accessories -


by: Henry Rogers WA7YBS/WHRM

 

photo from: QST - Cover -  May 1942

At one time, the language known as International Morse was just about the only way the radio communications could be carried on. Every radio operator from Commercial ops to Radiomen in the Navy, the Army and the Coast Guard and ALL Hams knew and used International Morse. It was a LANGUAGE that was understood by both young and old radio operators who had the interest, the desire and the discipline to learn and become accomplished at conversing in this most reliable of communications modes. International Morse Code's ability to allow 100% copy in the most difficult of conditions that would leave any spoken language incomprehensible is legend.
 

Hand Keys, Straight Keys & Flame-proof Keys

Hand Keys are also known as Straight Keys in the ham world. Used by professionals and amateurs alike, these types of telegraph keys date from the nineteenth-century up to the present time. Simple to operate and virtually incapable of making errors, the Hand Key is the basic tool for the telegrapher.

L. S. Brach Supply Co.

U.S. Army Signal Corps  J-6

The J-6 was used by the Signal Corps for the small airborne spark transmitters that were in use at the end of WWI up into the early 1920s. Usually the spark transmitter very low power and the high voltage was supplied by an air-driven generator that was mounted in the struts of the landing gear. The receivers were powered by batteries. Communications was primarily for aiming ground artillery during late-WWI. The J-6 key is mostly brass construction and is mounted on a hard rubber base that was mounted by screws to the wooden frame work of the airplane. The knob became the standard for early radio telegraph keys for the Signal Corps, especially those keys from Brach - see the Brach J-5-A below in "Flame-proof Keys."

Wireless Improvement Company

2KW Auxiliary Hand Key-Type SE68A


Made for U.S. Shipping Board in 1920, these large keys used .625" diameter silver contacts to handle the high currents of spark transmitters. The brass ring around the lower contact is a "cooling ring." The base is made of hard rubber. Originally the SE68A was a "leg-key," that is, it had long threaded rods on the bottom of the key base that allowed direct mounting to a table with connections made to the rods from under the table. Unfortunately, someone in the past has cut off the "legs" on this key. These keys were normally supplied with the Navy "Finger Rest" type of knob as shown on this example. The SE68A keys were later sold as surplus to hams and are advertised in the back section of the 1937 ARRL Handbook (for $7.50.)

 

Signal Electric Mfg. Co.

Heavy Duty Hand Key

Signal Electric started out in the 1890s as Menominee Electric Co. since they were located in Menominee, Michigan. The company built and sold telephone and telegraph equipment. The company also built some wireless items like loose couplers and other electrical parts. The name was changed to Signal Electric Manufacturing Company and they remained in business until the 1960s when they were purchased by a Thermos company. The hand key shown below to the left is a Signal Electric Mfg. Co. - Heavy Duty Key. These were available with different size contacts depending on the intended service. This key has 3/8" contacts for medium duty spark gap transmitter applications. The Signal key is identified by a manufacturer stamping at the rear of the key base between the connection terminals. This particular style of hand key was also built and sold by other manufacturers, like the Standard Co. version shown in the photo below to the right. This key doesn't have the Navy style finger rest and has smaller 5/16" contacts. Standard keys are not manufacturer identified. Most of these types of keys are brass construction with a gold lacquer "wash" applied. This key style was very popular and other examples can be seen in the "Hand Keys" section below (though these are later, inexpensive keys.)

The Lionel Corporation

U.S. Army Signal Corps  -  J-38  &   J-47

These are the standard WWII hand key. The J-38 and J-47 were found in many different environments during WWII. The J-38 typically was used in landline set-ups as noted by the secondary set of terminals at the rear of the key marked TEL and LINE. The lever switch must be "closed" for land line reception. Probably the most famous use of the J-47 was as the key used with the SCR-287, the airborne liaison radio station on bombers and transports during WWII. The keys were typically built under contract and most contracts went to Lionel but sometimes other contract manufacturers are found. The J-47 is typically found without the shorting lever installed even though the stationary part of the switch is present. This was because the J-47 was primarily a "radio key." J-38 keys always have the shorting lever since they were primarily a "land line key.". Both keys shown are mounted on their original bakelite bases which have the "L" embossed on the bottom to signify "Lionel." The J-38 and J-47 are known for their excellent action and feel. They are still very popular hand keys.

Signal Electric Manufacturing Company

M-100

Signal Electric had been making telegraph keys along with other electrical items since the turn of the century. During WWII, they produced hand keys for the military, like this Type M-100 key. This key is fitted with a rubber cable and PL-68 connector which indicates it was going to be used with military equipment. This M-100 was found in its original box as shown.  

Flame-proof Keys

Many of the military keys were used with transmitters that were cathode keyed and sometimes had significant voltage on the key itself. Also, other types of equipment may have voltage levels or current levels that could cause sparking when the key breaks contact. This could present a problem in areas where flammable fuel vapors might at times be present, such as airplanes, tanks or ships during or after an attack where fuel tanks or fuel lines may have been ruptured and leaking. The flame-proof key enclosed the contacts in a sealed chamber to prevent exposure of the possible sparking to any combustible vapors so it would be possible to radio for help. The J-5-A on the left is a Signal Corps key that was introduced in the thirties but was built for many years, in fact the one shown is from WWII - built by L. S. Brach Mfg. Co. The key in the center is a Navy flame-proof key, the CAQZ-26026 built by Brelco Co. The key on the right is a British "Bath Tub" flame-proof key that is made out of bakelite. The bale clamp holds the upper part of the key (which has all of the key parts) down into the tub. There are many other types of flame-proof keys but all accomplish the same thing, isolation of the key contacts to prevent exposure of possible sparking to a combustible vapor.

Hand Keys - Straight Keys
 

The typical key used by ham operators and sometimes even professionals. Though Hand Key is the name generally applied to these types of telegraph keys, hams usually refer to these types of keys as a "Straight Key." Most hams learned the code using a hand key and after they had built up their speed switched over to a semi-automatic key (a bug.) Many hams stayed with the hand key because of its simplicity and accuracy - something that took a lot of practice with a bug (or later using a keyer.)

The hand key shown to the left is a very late production E. F. Johnson Speed-X "Navy Style" hand key. These were available for many years (note the other Navy Style keys in the photo below not to mention the Signal Heavy Duty Wireless hand keys above.) This particular Johnson Speed-X hand key is the type that I used when first learning the code and while I was a Novice ham. The key always had a good "feel" to it and the Navy knob makes sending very easy.

 

More hand keys,...

The key on the left is a Speed-X Model 321 with a Navy "finger rest" type knob and chrome plating around the edge of the base. The next key is also a Speed-X in the standard base configuration with nickel plating. Both Speed-X keys are Les Logan manufacture (1937-1947.) The next key is a Depression era hand key that uses a lever and bearing support that are made from sheet metal stampings. These type of keys usually sold for about fifty cents during the thirties. The key on the far right is another "cheap" key relying on the "springiness" of the lever to provide the action with no bearings at all - really a cheap one but at least they did nickel plate the base.

U. S. Navy - CLT-26012 - Insulated Hand Key

Lundquist Tool & Mfg. Co. - Contractor

There is a whole series of Insulated Hand Keys (aka: General Purpose Key) that were manufactured for the Navy. The base is bakelite, hard rubber or some other kind of moldable plastic. The connections are recessed inside the base and the external connections are made via insulated binding posts. Additionally, these keys all feature a slot in the left side of the base to allow the insertion of a semi-automatic telegraph key wedge. This was an easy way for the radio operator to "plug in" his bug while on duty and then remove the wedge plug and take his bug with him when he went off-duty. The bugs were generally considered personal property even though probably issued by the military so each radio op that was approved to use a bug (and not all were) would keep his bug with him. However, the hand key was usually mounted to the operator's desk and couldn't be removed. Sometimes the 26012 keys were part of a larger transmitter keying set-up. The key shown in the photo is the CLT version 26012 which indicates that it was built by Lundquist Tool during WWII.

U.S. Army Signal Corps  -  KY-116/U  "Leg Key"

Winslow Electronics - Contractor

"Leg Key" generally refers to the two mounting bolts that were on many types of hand keys that allowed the key to mount to a table and have the bolts protrude through the table top to allow connecting the wires below the table rather than routing the wires across the top of the table. Of course, "Leg Keys" assumed you didn't mind drilling holes in the table so, for hams anyway, true "Leg Keys" weren't very popular. The key shown to the right is another type of "Leg Key" - one that actually clamps to your leg and allows you to send CW without the benefit of a table. These keys would have been used by the military and were necessary for portable operation in the field where that operation might be from a Jeep or other type of vehicle. Generally, these "Leg Keys" were provided if it was necessary to use CW. The primary mode of communications was usually Voice however, CW provided better communications accuracy in poor conditions such as heavy static or weak signals, so the option to run CW was always available. These types of keys were in use from WWII up through the 1970s (and probably later.)

This KY-116/U was built by Winslow Electronics and uses a standard J-37 key mounted on a hinged base with leg clamps. The hinged base allows the key to be turned upright to set on a desk, if available. The key is shown in the down position for clamping onto the operator's leg. Actually, operating the key in this manner is pretty comfortable and pretty good CW can be sent with the key clamped to your leg. Certainly, the method was not for long-term operation and was intended for portable use where a table or desk wasn't practical.

The KY-116/U is the specified key for the GRC-19 set (also, GRC-106, GRC-9 and many others) which is a portable vehicular transmitter-receiver that runs 100 watts to either the vehicle's whip antenna. If the vehicle was going to be at position for more than 90 minutes, a portable dipole antenna was erected for better communications performance.

Westclox

 2320 "Leg Key"

This is a Canadian Leg Key used by the military for various purposes. The key mechanism is covered with a protective metal box and all adjustments are under the cover. Canvas straps allow the user to mount the key to their leg for sending in the field. This key is specified as:

KEY & PLUG ASSY
CDN No.9 TYPE 2/T
ZA/CAN  2320
WESTCLOX

This key was in its original box and was donated by Jim W9OFQ

 

Semi-Automatic Telegraph Keys - Bugs

Mechanical semi-automatic telegraph keys date to the beginning of the twentieth-century with the "Martin Vibroplex" keys introduced in 1904, patented by Horace Martin (the pendulum-type dot mechanism was initially patented by William Coffe.) Many other companies tried to invent different methods of generating a reliable "dot stream" but Martin's "Original" (Single Lever) design was the most reliable and certainly the most imitated. The nickname "Bug" probably originated with hams noting the red "Lightning Bug" logo that appeared on later Vibroplex metal tags starting in the twenties. The "Bug" nickname ultimately was applied to any semi-automatic key regardless of manufacturer.

The Vibroplex Company



Vibroplex (Martin) Original  aka: Martin Single Lever

The Vibroplex Company - Brief History

Horace Martin was the earliest of the bug manufacturers, producing Autoplex semi-automatic keys in 1903. Martin developed the basic idea for all "modern" bugs - the "Vibroplex" that utilized a vibrating pendulum to create a dot stream with manual creation of dashes, although the actual patent originally belonged to William Coffe. The patent for the Original Single Lever dates from 1904 and this was the first (or earliest) model "bug" offered. "Vibroplex" and "Autoplex" keys were originally sold through United Electrical Manufacturing Co. in New York. Most of UEM's time was spent in court going thru various patent suits. The UEM Company failed in 1908. Ultimately, Martin partnered with J. E. Albright in 1911. Albright sold "Martin's Vibroplex" keys initially as an agent as there was no specific company at that time. Martin was not a businessman, he left that to Albright. Martin was the inventor and spent all of his time in the shop. Albright was successful in obtaining all applicable patents to the Vibroplex (if not already assigned to Martin.) Afterwards, all "knock-offs" had to be licensed by Albright or the user could be held liable for "unlicensed use." The Vibroplex Company was officially formed in 1915 with J.E. Albright as president. Martin left Vibroplex in 1920 when he was "bought out" by Albright for a little under $7000. Martin had a "non-competition" clause in the arrangement but continued to offer improvements to Vibroplex and after the ten-year period expired provided collaborations with other key manufacturers thru his sons' company, Martin Research & Mfg. Co. Vibroplex continued on supplying bugs to telegraphers, hams and even the military. Demand for the J-36 was so high during WWII, Vibroplex enlisted the help of Lionel Corporation to build the quantity of keys required. In 1947, J.E. Albright passed the presidency of Vibroplex to his brother, W.W. Albright. John LaHiff had been with the company for many years and designed several keys. He became the new owner of Vibroplex in 1965. Upon his death in the early seventies, his son took over but eventually sold Vibroplex to Peter Garsoe in 1978. Garsoe moved Vibroplex from New York to Maine where he had other businesses. Around 2000, the Vibroplex company was again sold. This time to Mitch Felton who moved the company to Georgia where it still operates from.

The Single Lever (Original) - Horace Martin's first all-mechanical, semi-automatic key design was the Single Lever. Almost all later "bugs" are based on this design that utilizes a vibrating pendulum to send a stream of dots the speed of which is determined by the placement of weights on the pendulum. The Original was called the Single Lever at first, then Horace Martin's Original and then just the Vibroplex Original (about 1940.) The example shown above is from 1919 with the typical Japan Finish base with gold stripes. Most of the early Vibroplex key bases are painted with lacquer called "Japan Finish" and then gold pin stripes were added. Nickel plated bases were available. Very early keys were sometimes built with non-plated brass parts on Black Japan bases (see the Double Levers shown below.) Other paint schemes were first advertised in June 1929 (QST,) with special finishes that could be ordered in Red, Blue or Green lacquer in addition to the standard Black Japan and Nickel-plate. Wrinkle finish came along around 1939, first in black. Then in WWII, some bugs were painted dark gray. Black wrinkle returned for a short time after WWII but the company went back to gray (though a lighter shade) in the early fifties.

Shown in the photo to the right is a typical fifties Original,...or, is it? Note the wedge shaped paddle, the two small weights and the darker blue-gray used for the paint on the base. The serial number is most informative, 147072 assigned in 1945. This is one of the Vibroplex Originals that has the gray paint used during WWII production. Though normally thought to have been used only on the Deluxe models as a substitute for Chromium plating, this example shows that it was also used on the Standard Original. After WWII, Vibroplex returned to painting the bases black wrinkle finish. Gray returned as the base color in the mid-fifties but it was a much lighter shade than the dark blue-gray of WWII versions. The Original sold for $15.95 in 1945.

The Vibroplex Company

"Double Lever"

 The Double-Lever was the second model to be offered with production starting about 1907. The Double-Lever went through several changes during its production history. The Double-Lever shown to the left is an earlier style with the "Square Cut-out Frame." The dash lever is completely separate from the dot lever and allows the operator to either use the key as a "bug" or it can be used as a side action straight key. The model shown on the right is the last type made, called the "Clover-leaf Frame" because of the inside cut-out shape of the frame. It dates from around 1918 (SN:64103.) The Double-Lever was available up to the mid-twenties.

 

The Vibroplex Company

Model "X"

 In 1911, Vibroplex introduced the Model X (right). It was the third style of "bug" offered and its design objective was to eliminate the separate dot and dash contacts. The Model X was based on the later of two patents from 1911 and achieves the goal of a single contact "bug." The Model "X" shown is from 1912 (SN:10551.) Like the Double Lever, the "X" wasn't popular but was still available up into the early twenties. 

The Vibroplex Company

Blue Racer (aka: No. 4)
 

The Blue Racer was introduced as a small key to save space for the busy telegrapher. The base is much smaller than the Original and the mechanism proportions had to be reduced somewhat resulting in a pendulum that is shorter than the larger keys. The slight shortening of the Blue Racer pendulum makes the key a very fast sender. About the slowest a Blue Racer can send is 25wpm using the standard weights provided.

The Blue Racer was introduced in 1914 as the No. 4 Vibroplex. The first models had a "square opening" bearing support frame. The damper was a "U" type base that supported a loosely mounted wheel to act as the damper. The Blue Racer name was attached to the No. 4 around 1920. From 1914 up into the 1920s, the No. 4 base was painted Cobalt Blue enamel. Around 1920, the "clover-leaf" frame was being used. By the mid-twenties, Black Japan and Nickel bases were offered. Late in production the damper assembly was changed to be like the Original (see Deluxe Blue Racer below.) Black wrinkle came in around 1939 and by the 1950s, light gray wrinkle became standard. The Blue Racer was also available as a Deluxe model with chrome base, jewel bearings and red knobs.  >>>
>>>  The "Racer" shown above is serial number 97296, dating it to 1926. It has the "clover leaf" frame cut-out and has the Black Japan finish with gold pin stripes. Interestingly, the address on the tag is 796 Fulton St. in Brooklyn. Most tags will have addresses that are on the 800 block on Broadway St. in Manhattan. For some reason, some early bugs will have the Fulton St. address. It's thought that some (maybe all) of the keys were actually built at a Vibroplex shop that was located in Brooklyn but that the keys were actually sold thru the main office in Manhattan. Vibroplex never used the Fulton St. address in any of their advertising. Another interesting observation is that the J. H. Bunnell Company was located at 215 Fulton St.

There was a time period from 1932 up to 1941 where Vibroplex never advertised the Blue Racer. It's thought that perhaps the "Racer" was out of production during this time period. When "Racer" production started again, these later keys have the Black Wrinkle finish base and the return to the square cut-out in the frame.

Shown in the photo to the right is a Blue Racer from 1944 with the serial number 128406. Note that it has the straight cut-out in the frame and has a black wrinkle finish to the base.

Shown in the photo below is serial number 137766, assigned in early 1945. This "Racer" is how the keys looked from about 1939 up to the early fifties.   >>>

>>>  So, who was buying Blue Racers during WWII? One has to remember the increased traveling that was done by rail during WWII with soldiers and sailors being transported to various bases on both coasts and throughout the country. Then there was all of the increased shipping by rail that was necessary because of the war. Certainly the railroads had to increase their communications ability and much of that communication was by telegraph. The increase in railroad telegraph operators probably accounted for most of the Blue Racer purchases. Then there was the various government users, various commercial shipping users and anyone else that needed a small, fast bug. Hams were only able to operate during WWII by special permission from the Navy and then their transmitters had to be registered with the Navy and operation was only allowed on weekly "emergency nets" associated with civil defense. Still, it's possible that a ham might have purchased a Blue Racer during WWII. The Blue Racer was the same price as the Original, $15.95 in 1945.

It's rare to hear any bug being used "on the air" today in this age of electronic keyers or (even worse) computer generated CW being sent from a keyboard. In the past few years I've heard mostly J-36 keys being used because of their military connection. I've never heard a Blue Racer being used, mainly because they are such a fast sending key. If you did call "CQ" using a Racer, no one would answer you. I did use my Deluxe Blue Racer when I used to have a regular CW sked with W7TC (SK,) who was an ardent bug collector and great CW op. We used to see how fast each of us could send and copy and we were always trying to "out do" each other. We had our sked on 3.507mc at the bottom of the 80M band. Since it was a sked with a person that I knew, I could "get away" with using the Racer.

The Vibroplex Company

Lightning Bug  (aka: No. 6)

 

The Lightning Bug started out as a "No.6" model in the mid-1920s. It was designed to use easy- to-machine parts for assembly of the bearing support frame which, on the Original and Blue Racer, was time-consuming to machine. Though several parts are necessary to build-up the bearing support frame they are made up of easy-to-machine round stock, flat sheet metal pieces and screws. Additionally, the damper support frame was also designed to use easy-to-machine parts. All of this was to allow the selling price to be somewhat less than an Original or Blue Racer. It must have been successful since the Lightning Bug was in production from the mid-1920s up into the late-1970s.

The Lightning Bug can be found in several finishes from Black Japan or Red, Green or Blue lacquer to Black Wrinkle, Gray Wrinkle and Chrome plating.

Shown is a Black Wrinkle finish Lightning Bug from the first part of 1942 (sn: 119102.) The Lightning Bug sold for $13.95 in 1945.

The Lightning Bug was designed after Martin had left Vibroplex. John LaHiff is usually credited with the design of the No. 6, aka: Lightning Bug.

The Vibroplex Company

Martin Junior

The Martin Junior was introduced in 1934. It has a base that is slightly smaller than the Original but a bit larger than the Blue Racer. By about 1937, the name was shortened to "Junior" but then it was lengthened, in 1939, to "Vibroplex Junior." Bases could be painted blue, green, red or black japan with gold stripes. The price was $10 for most of the production that only lasted five years. The Martin Junior was not available after 1939. 

Signal Corps U.S. Army - Key Type J-36

(based on Vibroplex's Lightning Bug)

Vibroplex, Lionel, Bunnell

 

During WWII, many items needed for the war effort were built under contract. This meant that a common design and specifications were used that might actually be the property of another company but the construction was actually the work of a contract company. Such is the case with the popular Signal Corps bug, the J-36. The key is actually based on the Vibroplex "Lightning Bug" with some minor changes to the paddle and to the identification tag.

Vibroplex made J-36 keys for the Signal Corps before and during WWII. The photo to the left shows a Vibroplex J-36 from a pre-WWII contract (5-4-40.) Bunnell also made J-36 bugs during WWII. The Australian company Buzza also made a J-36 look-alike during WWII (see photo and info on the Buzza further down this page.)  >>> 

>>>  The Lionel Corporation certainly made the largest quantity of J-36 keys and most of the examples found today are the Lionel versions which were all built during WWII. The plastic identification tag on Lionel J-36 bugs is always in poor condition with the example shown in the photo to the right being typical of the "better" condition tags. The plastic was prone to shrinkage and usually pulls away from the mounting pins and breaks. Many J-36s are missing their tags entirely. Fortunately, repro tags are available although they have to be downloaded from the Internet and then properly sized, printed and laminated.

J-36s are great keys to use and provide good action and precise sending. Most J-36 keys will require some rebuilding to function at the level the design is capable of. The Lionel J-36 shown to the right belonged to W3ON.

As mentioned above, just about the only bug I've heard being used "on the air" in the past few years have been J-36 keys. Their military connection has provided a place to use a J-36 on some of the vintage military nets that allow some CW operations. The Vintage Military Radio Net, operating on 3.974mc, used to allow our "73 round" to be sent in CW if the operator had the equipment and wanted to exercise their fist.

 

The Vibroplex Company

Champion


The Champion was introduced late in 1939 as a low-cost alternative to the Lightning Bug. The Champion was built along the same lines as the Lightning Bug using the stamped sheet metal parts for the frame top and bottom along with the easy-to-machine round stock all assembled with machine screws. To further reduce costs, the Champion used the stamped and bent sheet metal "U" shaped damper support with the round stock damper as was normally inverted and mounted on the cross-bar of the Lightning Bug but instead merely mounted the "U" support rightside-up directly to the base. This simplified the entire damper down to just a few parts.

The Champion went through the same evolution with black wrinkle paint used on the base before and just after WWII, then going to gray wrinkle paint in the 1950s. The triangular shaped paddle was rounded starting in the 1950s, although Deluxe Original Keys had the rounded paddle much earlier (in red) as did the J-36 version of the Lightning Bug. The Champion was available up to about 1980.

The Champion was designed by John LaHiff, who went on to be the owner of the Vibroplex Company in 1965.

Shown above is a WWII-vintage Champion with the triangle shaped paddle and the black wrinkle finish paint. The Champion was $9.95 in 1945, a real bargain.

The Champion shown to the left is from the mid-1960s when these keys were finished in light gray wrinkle finish paint and the rounded paddle was in use. Also, note that by this time philip's head screws were being used. This key was donated by Jim W9OFQ who purchased it at a swap meet  in the mid-1980s.

 

 

 

 

Vibroplex "Deluxe" Bugs

The Vibroplex Company

Deluxe Original

Vibroplex began offering the Deluxe Original in 1940. The chrome plated base with red knobs made for an impressive key. Early versions have a regular bearing adjustment on the top of the frame as the Deluxe Original shown does. After WWII, the jewel bearing was introduced and a small red plastic "button" pressed into the bearing adjustment hole on top of the frame. There was also a Presentation model that had a gold-plated cover that was mounted to the top of the chrome base. In the late forties an adjustable main spring was introduced to the Presentation to allow fine adjustment of the speed of the dot stream. After about 1960 this feature was dropped and the Presentation became just a Deluxe Original with a gold-plated cover.

Many of the Deluxe models suffer from pitting in the chrome plated base. Since the base was steel, it had to be copper plated first, then nickel plated and finally chrome plated. If any contamination was present on the steel surface, especially common in very small surface porosities, the plating process would be compromised at those small points. Most of the time the areas were so small they went unnoticed. After exposure to a humid area, corrosion begins at the small pin-point areas and it develops over time (under the chrome plating) into the condition as seen in the photo.

The Vibroplex Company

Deluxe Blue Racer

Probably the most beautiful of the Vibroplex Deluxe models, the Deluxe Blue Racer has just the right proportions that endear it to owners and collectors alike. The Deluxe version of the Blue Racer was not available for a long time, from the late forties up to about 1960. A great key to use and very fast.

To get an idea of the small size of the Blue Racer base, note the size relationship of the knob and paddle to the base when compared to the Deluxe Original or Deluxe Lightning Bug.

I used this Deluxe Blue Racer in skeds with W7TC(SK) back in the 1990s. We would always try to push the send and receive speed up as fast as possible and still get some kind of copy. Since we knew each other, we could "get away" with that sort of thing.

The Vibroplex Company

Deluxe Lightning Bug

 

Like the Original and the Blue Racer, the Lightning Bug was available for a time in the "Deluxe" style with chrome plated base and red knobs. Like to Original and Blue Racer Deluxe versions, the Lightning Bug Deluxe also had jeweled bearings. The Deluxe Lightning Bug shown is very late in production - from around 1974 - serial number is 379143. Interestingly, the metal tag is not attached to the base with drive pins - it is glued to the base!

 

Vibroplex Carrying Case

There was a time when being a telegrapher was an important profession. The telegrapher at the local railway station provided communications outside of many small towns and others, like Western Union or Postal Telegraph ops on the lines or other ops via radio, provided world-wide communications via American Morse (landline) and International Morse (radio) Code. As a professional, the telegrapher usually had his own key - mainly because most railway stations would have only provided a simple straight key bolted to the table. The telegrapher would take his "bug" to work as any craftsman would bring his tools. A delicately adjusted Vibroplex would not be just carried around in your lunch pail,.....you had to have the official Vibroplex Carrying Case. These cases were always available from Vibroplex for around $5.00. They are leatherette covered on the outside and felt lined on the inside with a leather carrying handle. Initially, the cases were designed to fit the particular key it was to house. Blue Racer cases were somewhat smaller than cases for the Original or the Lightning Bug. The latch on the front door keeps the "bug" safe during transport. The reason for the lock and key is prevent accidental opening of the door during transport if the latch button was somehow hit. 

 

Speed-X Radio Manufacturing Co., Speed-X Manufacturing Co., Speed-X (E. F. Johnson Co.)

 

Speed-X Radio Manufacturing Co.

Stewart Johnson

The Speed-X name is first associated with Electro Manufacturing Co. located in Fresno, California. In 1934, Stewart Johnson bought the Speed-X name and relocated the company to San Francisco. Johnson changed the name of the company to Speed-X Radio Manufacturing Company and the address was 30 Ninth St. in San Francisco. Johnson built Speed-X keys from 1934 until he sold the company to Les Logan in 1937. The Speed-X shown in the photo is similar to the later model 515 Speed-X but with a somewhat smaller base. Earlier Speed-X bugs will have the combination of knob and paddle but the later Speed-X bugs use two paddles instead.

Although there is no identification on this bug, it was found in unused condition in its original Stewart Johnson Speed-X box. To further identify, it's apparent that many of the parts used are identical to later Speed-X parts, e.g., the damper, the posts and the knurls used on the hardware are all typical of later Les Logan Speed-X keys.

Speed-X Radio Manufacturing Co.

Stewart Johnson

This is another Stewart Johnson Speed-X bug. This one is nickel-plated and, typical of the Steward Johnson versions, this one doesn't have any sort of identification. However, one can see the similarities that this key has to all Speed-X bugs and particularly those built by Stewart Johnson. Also, a help in identification and dating this key comes from its former owner, Al Norberg W6HLJ, who owed the key from the 1935 until recently. Since this key was used with Norberg's homebrew transmitter which he built in 1935, this key more than likely is a Stewart Johnson version Speed-X. At 97 (2013,) Al Norberg donated his Speed-X key to go along with his homebrew transmitter that he donated to the museum several years ago.

For more information on Al Norberg's homebrew 1KW transmitter built in 1935, go to our "Classic Pre-WWII Ham Gear" page for a complete write up that includes two B&W photos taken in 1936 showing the transmitter, homebrew receiver and this key. Navigation link below.

Speed-X Manufacturing Co.

Les Logan

Les Logan purchased Speed-X Radio Manufacturing Co. from Stewart Johnson in 1937. Logan dropped "Radio" from the name, changing it to Speed-X Manufacturing Company and the location was moved to 646 Jessie St. in San Francisco. Les Logan's name is usually associated with Speed-X from 1937 up to 1947. Logan changed a few things on his keys compared to those of his predecessor (Stewart Johnson.) Logan finally added an identification tag to his keys along with a model number. Logan's bugs use two paddles rather than a knob and paddle combination. He also offered a couple of different types of bearing support frames on his different models. The "T" handle was available on the larger Logan bugs and allowed the user to set the bug on its side and use the dash paddle as a straight key. Les Logan's bugs were well-built and quite popular. Les Logan sold the Speed-X line to E.F. Johnson Co. of Waseca, Minnesota in 1947. Shown to the right is a Les Logan Model 500 with nickel plated bearing support frame and a black wrinkle finish base from the late thirties. This key belonged to John Ridgway W3ON.

logans.jpg (18808 bytes)

Speed-X Manufacturing Co.

Les Logan

Here are some more samples of Les Logan Speed-X keys. The key on the left is the deluxe Model 500 in black wrinkle with nickel plated frame. Next to it is the deluxe Model 501, which was the 500 with nickel plated base. The next key is the Model 510, an odd key using a cast pot-metal base that is very small and light weight. The key on the right is the Model 515, Speed-X's standard model with black wrinkle base. The deluxe keys with the "T" handle allowed the key to be placed on its side and used as a straight key (not very practical but it works, somewhat) and it also allows an easy method for carrying.

Speed-X

E. F. Johnson Company

E. F. Johnson Company of Waseca, Minnesota became the last manufacturer using the Speed-X name. Johnson purchased Speed-X from Les Logan in 1947 and initially continued to produce basically the same type of keys. Eventually, a different weight design was used followed by a change in the fiber paddles to plastic. The last of the Johnson Speed-X bugs have chrome plating, different tags and other minor hardware changes. The bug shown is an early Johnson Speed-X Model 114-501 that is nickel plated and probably dates from the 1950s. This bug belonged to K6QY.

jonspdx.jpg (29354 bytes)

Speed-X

E. F. Johnson Company

Here's a couple of other E.F. Johnson Speed-X bugs. The key on the left is the Model 114-520 with later style plastic paddles. The key on the right is the Model 114-500 which was found in mint-unused condition still in its original box. Johnson did modernize their versions of the Speed-X bug and later versions will have plastic paddles, more modern tags, larger weights and chrome plating rather than nickel plating.

 

 

McElroy Manufacturing Corp., aka: T. R. McElroy "World's Champion Telegrapher"

DeLuxe Model 600

Ted McElroy was a champion telegrapher having gone through the Candler system of learning the code. His receiving speed was advertised as 55wpm in the mid-thirties but ultimately Ted was clocked at over 70wpm.

McElroy's connection with high-speed CW led to his forming a company that specialized in various types of code equipment manufactured between the mid-thirties thru WWII and for a short time after the war. Ted's company seems to officially have been "McElroy Manufacturing Corporation" but most of his telegraph key name-plates will have "T. R. McElroy - World's Champion Telegrapher - Boston Mass." as the company name. Sometimes "MAC" also appears on the name-plates.

All of the deluxe McElroy keys are heavy, well-built units. Key contacts are large and all of the hardware is heavy-duty. McElroy also manufactured various types of hand keys.

The Deluxe Model 600 shown features a "marbled" finish that is striking and very durable. The "T" handle allows the key to be placed on its side and used as a straight key. Deluxe models sold in the late-thirties have a metal tag for identification. The decal label on this key dates it to the later production of McElroy DeLuxe Model 600 keys in the early-1940s.

Model S-600 "Super Stream"

Ted McElroy's "Stream" keys featured a Zephyr-styled, "teardrop" shaped base that evoked the era of speed and rapid movement. Both the "Stream" hand-key versions and the "Super Stream" semi-automatic key used this style base. Introduced around 1941, the S-600 was chrome plated as were some of the "Stream" hand-keys.

The Super Stream was given the model number S-600 but it isn't located on the tag or anywhere on the bug. The name Super Stream doesn't appear on the tag either.

The Super Stream S-600 appears small in photographs but the key is quite large and very heavy which helps it stay in place when sending. It's a stunning key that, if adjusted properly, has a wide-range of sending speed and is comfortable to operate while providing a very precise dot-action. The fact that the key "stays put" on the bench really helps sending accuracy. Of course, any bug could be mounted to the bench with screws to keep it from moving around but the Super Stream S-600 does so just by having most of its weight at the front of the base. 

 

Other Bug Manufacturers

 

Buzza Products

Automatic Key No. 100

This Australian made key is based on the Vibroplex Lightning Bug (or military J-36) design but changes the support of the dash lever by providing it with its own pivot and bearing. The damper also departs from the Lightning Bug design, requiring fewer parts. All No.100 Buzza keys have a red paddle and a black knob. A very heavy base makes the Buzza a sturdy key to operate and its dot action is very precise. Dates from around WWII.

 

Electrical Specialty Mfg.

 "Cedar Rapids Bug"

The Cedar Rapids Bug was perhaps the only bug to be offered either in assembled form or as a kit, (the price difference was minimal.) The rubber bumper on the damper is another unusual feature. The company name is cast into the bottom of the base. There are variations on the locations and quantity of rubber feet used. Since many were assembled kits, builders sometimes took liberties with custom paint colors and hardware. The example shown is the standard Cedar Rapids Bug. Dates from the late thirties up into the late forties. The company was located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 

NOTE: The paddle looks squared-off and unfinished but this is an original paddle and knob and shows how the standard models looked assembled without modifications. Of course, since these bugs were kits, original owners might have "shaped" the paddle to their preference.

 

SKILLMAN (a.k.a. many various other names)

This bug was sold under many different names by several different dealers including many of the catalog dealers, like Lafayette or Allied. The keys were made in Japan and are very well built. They also seem to function quite well although adjustments are a little hard to get at. The plastic dust cover always seems to have suffered and most covers are either broken or missing. Dates from the 1960s. Not all versions found will have a name on the plastic cover. Many versions of this key have no identification at all.

 

Telegraph Accessories - Learning Tools

 

Victor Talking Machine Company

Marconi-Victor Course - Wireless Telegraphy

When the USA became involved in WWI (April 1917) the Army and Navy realized they were going to need wireless operators in the field and on ships at sea besides the trenches. Training time would be shortened if the men enlisting already knew International Morse Code. What better way to learn the code at home than by phonograph record. The Victor Talking Machine Company offered a six record set along with booklet in 1917 to assist the military in providing a method to have future enlistees already know the code. The records are 10" diameter and are acoustically recorded, that is, all the speaking and the code "buzzer" were performed before a large horn that directed the sound energy down to a record cutter that made the master. The sound of the transmitted code signals sounds like a rotary spark gap type transmitter but is probably a large mechanical buzzer. In the first record for learning the alphabet, the announcer yells "A" and then the buzzer is heard to send "dit dah" at about a ten wpm speed. Then the announcer yells "B" - "dah dit dit dit" from the buzzer. This same format is used for learning the letters and numbers. The records progress from learning the code on the first record and then on to building speed up to full messages sent on the last record.

Recordings have been used to learn International Morse for years after this Marconi-Victor course. Several companies issued records over the years. Many hams remember the Ameco Code Course records. When I was a teenager, I learned the code from an Ameco Code Course LP record that I checked out of the local library. The recording medium went to tapes and then CDs. Computer programs have also been instrumental in instruction and building code speed.

Code Practice Oscillators

Insuline Corporation of America - Signa-Tone

Bud Industries - Audio Oscillator

 

Code Practice Oscillators were used for several purposes. First, when two or more people were trying to learn the code or were trying to improve their sending ability, the Code Oscillator allowed one person to send while the other received. The positions would be switched after a while to allow both individuals to send and receive. Also, these Code Oscillators could usually be connected to the ham transmitter to act as a sending monitor - to make sure that your sent CW had the proper spacing and rhythm. The tube used was generally a 117L6 which was a diode rectifier and pentode in one envelope. Usually the speaker was a Hi-Z armature-pin speaker. Most had the option of using a headset for monitoring. Pitch of the tone was adjustable.

Another use for the Code Practice Oscillator would be for those hams who would volunteer as examiners and would administer Novice exams and sometimes Conditional License exams. Obtaining a Novice License before 1980 required that the prospective ham to go out and find a licensed General Class or higher ham who would volunteer to give him the 5 wpm Code test. The first step was to for the volunteer examiner to obtain a 610 form from the FCC. Those forms used to have a section for the examiner to fill out confirming that he had given a 5 wpm Morse Code test to the applicant and that he had passed both sending and receiving. The requirement was to have at least one minute of solid copy and one minute of solid sending. Next, the volunteer examiner would send in the completed 610 form to the FCC. Six weeks later, the examiner would receive the applicant's Novice written test via the mail at which time he would contact the applicant to come over and take the test. The completed test was sent into the FCC again and hopefully, six weeks later, the applicant would receive his Novice license and call letters (again, via the mail.) This arduous and lengthy procedure started to change as the ARRL Volunteer Examiner program was started in the 1980s. As both the code test and the written theory test could be administered on the same date the time to acquire the license was reduced. Over time, the FCC has greatly improved their turnaround time on license processing also.

Shown in the photo top right is the ICA Signa-Tone (ICA was the Insuline Corp. of America.) This is a very nice performing Code Practice Oscillator with a variety of tones and strong volume. The Bud Audio Oscillator is very similar in design to the Signa-Tone and dates from around the same time period - the late-forties to mid-fifties. Bud Industries is famous for their metal cabinets and metal relay racks. Bud Industries has been in business since 1928.


The Instructograph Company

The Instructograph



Using records to learn the code had one disadvantage. You were using a phonograph and probably couldn't use earphones, so everyone around got annoyed as they had to listen to you as you were learning the code. The Instructograph eliminated that problem. Most were designed to run into earphones. It could also operate an external oscillator for multiple student use. The Instructograph uses punched paper tapes to send code. The paper tape actuates a set of contacts when holes are present and break contact when there are no holes. The length of the hole determines whether a dot of a dash is sent. The paper tape is pulled through a "smooth button" on the actuator arm that moves the arm as the button drops into the punched holes. The actuator arm also has the contact that makes and breaks the circuit that drives the oscillator or other external sounding device. Early machines used a wind-up phonograph type motor while later versions used an AC operated electric motor. Early versions sometimes had a battery operated oscillator inside using a single type 30 tube. Some versions relied on an external oscillator. Later versions had built-in solid state oscillators. The paper tapes were available for either American Morse (landline or railroad code) or International Morse (radio) code (Instructograph always referred to International Morse by the name Continental Morse.) The tapes were kept in individual boxes or metal tins. Usually a larger box was provided for tape storage and instructions. The paper tapes progressed from learning the alphabet and numbers on up to full messages for building your speed. And, of course, the speed of the machine was adjustable so you had complete control of how fast you wanted to have the code sent to you. Since the paper tapes opened and closed contacts any variety of external signal indicators could be used for learning that particular type of code - from lamps for visual indicators to sounders and batteries for American Morse (in addition to the audio oscillator for International Morse.)

Shown in the photo to the right is a fairly early Instructograph that uses a wind-up motor to drive the tape pickup spool. Note that one this early version, the tape spools are made of wood. Also, the tape containers are metal tins with "Continental" printed on the lid. Each tin is numbered for identification. Note also that this machine has a small pointer knob at the upper left of the panel. This is the power switch and volume control for the battery-operated audio oscillator that is mounted inside the cabinet. The oscillator uses a single type 30 vacuum tube. This excellent condition Instructograph is complete with all of the tapes, extra spools and a spare type 30 tube. It belonged to W3ON.


 
photo above: This is another early Instructograph with wind-up motor drive. Note that this version has a removable lid that is held on with two latches. Note also that the tapes are for American Morse. I'm not sure about the masonite panel. It appears to have wear and looks original but I've never seen masonite used as a panel on any other Instructograph. Note that this version doesn't have a knob anywhere on the panel. This machine relies on the user to provide an external indicating device. Since the tapes are for American Morse the indicator should be a sounder and battery combination.


 
photo above: This is a late Instructograph that runs on AC and has an internal solid-state audio oscillator. Note the larger box provided for tape storage and instructions.

Instructographs and the FCC at San Francisco - Instructographs used to be everywhere. A lot of hams had them. Even the FCC used them to give the code tests to hams. The 13 wpm code test I took from the FCC in San Francisco in 1970 was sent with an Instructograph machine. When administering the code test, the FCC engineers would deliberately try to increase your nervous apprehension and level of discomfort to see if you really "knew" the code and could copy under difficult conditions. Typically unfriendly, the SF-FCC engineers communicated to ham-test, license upgrade-applicants with terse verbal commands along with various facial expressions that were supposed to highlight the dubious likelihood of any applicants passing the CW test. If you did pass the SF-FCC CW test, you could copy CW in the worst environments.

In contrast, in the late-eighties I took (and passed) the 20 wpm code test for Extra Class. The CW test was sent using a cassette tape machine by a VE (volunteer examiner) who did everything he could to increase the comfort level and reduce any test nervousness. "Do you need a pencil? Is the volume okay? Would you like a cup of coffee?," were some of the questions designed to reduce "test nervousness." Quite a difference from the brusque manner of the FCC engineers. At that time, the VE-CW test included submitting my "hard copy" along with a ten question, "fill-in-the-blank" written test. Around 2000, the CW qualifications for Extra Class were reduced to only the beginners level of 5 wpm. Eventually, CW requirements were totally eliminated for Extra Class and all other levels of amateur licensing. How times have changed.

 
Henry Rogers, Western Historic Radio Museum, Radio Boulevard © 2013

____________________________________________________________________

Donations to Radio Boulevard - Western Historic Radio Museum's Website

If you enjoy using Radio Boulevard - Western Historic Radio Museum's website as an information resource and have found our photos, our hard to find information or our restoration articles helpful, then please consider a donation to the WHRM website. A small donation will help with the expenses of website operation, which includes research, photographing and composition. WHRM was a real museum that was "Open-to-the-Public" from 1994 to 2012 - eighteen years of operation. WHRM will continue to provide its on-line information source with this website, which has been in operation since 1997.

Please use PayPal for sending a donation by clicking on the "Donate" Button below


_________________________________________________________

Website Navigation Index

-  WHRM History  ~  Nevada Radio History  ~  The KOWL XMTR  ~  Full Length Articles with Photos -

Home-Index

Western Historic Radio Museum Information
 Contact Info, Museum History 1994-2012, Museum Photo Tour, Using Photos and Info from this Website & Radio Value Info

Nevada Radio History - 1906 to 1930
Arthur Raycraft, Nevada's "Father of Wireless," America's First Radio Tour, Early Nevada BC Stations & More

KOWL's Gates BC-250L BC Transmitter
2007 Move from Lake Tahoe - Restoration - PLUS -  2013 Move to Dayton, Nevada & Getting on 160M

Parish House History
1876 to Present
Virginia City, Nevada

Lots of Photos

 

- Wireless Apparatus, 1920s Radio and Communications Equipment  ~  Full Length Articles with Photos -

M.H. Dodd's 1912 Wireless Station
100th Anniversary  Edition 
Includes New Photos, Reassembly Info and Lots of Original Vintage 1912 B&W Photos + Reassembly in Dayton

 THE COLIN B. KENNEDY COMPANY
"RADIO APPARATUS OF QUALITY"
Universal, Intermediate Wave and Short Wave Models History, Restoration and Operation - Lots of Photos

A.H. GREBE & CO., INC.
"A Guide to the Synchrophase MU-1"
Comprehensive Manufacturing History, Restoration, Neutralizing, Performance Information - Lots of Photos

 

 SE-1420, IP-501 & IP-501A
"The Classic Shipboard Wireless Receivers"
Comprehensive History, Restoration and Operation Info - Tuning in NDBs with IP-501-A

Vintage Long Wave Receivers
Long Wave Receiver Profiles, Loop Antenna Info, NDB Info and Log,
Fallon NV "Master - M" Loran Station Tour

 

 

- Vintage Communications & Amateur Radio Equipment  ~  Full Length Articles with Photos -

National Co. - HRO Receiver
"The Cream of the Crop" 
Comprehensive History, Serial Numbers, Restoration, Lots of Photos & More

National Co. - NC-100 Series
"Moving Coil"  Receivers 
Comprehensive History, Serial Numbers, Restoration & More - Includes Civilian Versions, Military Versions & Airport Versions

Hallicrafters SX-28
"A Pre-war Masterpiece"

Comprehensive History, Serial Number Analysis, Restoration Details & More

Hallicrafters DD-1 "Skyrider Diversity"
Comprehensive History, Serial Numbers & Restoration Details

NEW!          Navy Dept - RCA - RAA-3 Receiver
1930s Ship or Shore Station Longwave Superheterodyne
History, Circuit Design & Construction Details,
Restoration Log with Lot of Photos

 RCA's Amazing AR-88 Receivers
Comprehensive History, Restoration Info, How to do IF Sweep Alignments, Serial Numbers & More

RCA's Legendary AR-60 Receiver
Comprehensive History, Serial Number Analysis, Restoration Details & More - including the AR-60 connection to Amelia Earhart's Disappearance

Hammarlund Mfg.Co.,Inc
The Incredible Pre-War 'Super-Pro'
Comprehensive History, Serial Number Analysis, Restoration Details. Includes info on the Hammarlund Comet Pro

Patterson Radio Company
         
   PR-10 Receiver & Pre-selector              
Comprehensive History, Los Angeles Radio Mfgs History, Circuit Details, Serial Numbers, Restoration Details & More

NEW!    Hallicrafters' Super-Pro, the R-274 Receiver
Comprehensive History, Circuit details with Comparison to the Hammarlund SP-600, Restoration Details, Best features of each Receiver. Yes! You can VOTE for your favorite Super Pro

 

-  Rebuilding Communications Equipment  ~  Full Length Articles with Photos -

Rebuilding the R-390A Receiver
Detailed Restoration Information for each module with Lots of Photos

Rebuilding the ART-13 Transmitter
Detailed Restoration info - includes details on building AC power supplies (with schematics) Lots of Photos

Rebuilding the Hammarlund SP-600
Detailed Restoration Information with Lots of Photos

           T-368 Military Transmitter                    
Detailed Information on Reworking, Testing and
Operation with Lots of Photos

Rebuilding and Operating the AN/GRC-19
T-195 XMTR & R-392 RCVR

 Detailed Information with Lots of Photos

Successfully Operating the BC-375 on the Ham Bands Today
Detailed Information on Power Set-ups that Work, Dynamic Neutralization, BC-191 Info & More

Rebuilding the Collins 51J Series Receivers
Detailed Restoration Information with Lots of Photos - Includes R-388 Receiver

Rebuilding the BC-348 Receiver
Detailed Information on all BC-348 Types, Dynamotor Retrofit Information, AC Power Supply Enhancement - Lots of Photos

Building an Authentic 1937 Ham Station
Utah Radio Products - UAT-1 Transmitter

 

- WHRM Radio Photo Galleries with Text -

Entertainment Radios from 1922 to 1950

Roaring 20s Radios
1922 to 1929

Vintage Table Radios
1930 to 1950

Floor Model Radios (Consoles)
1929 to 1939

Only Zenith Radios
1930 to 1940

Communications Equipment from 1909 to 1959 - Commercial, Military & Amateur

 Early Ham & Commercial Wireless Gear
1909 to 1927

Classic Pre-WWII Ham Gear
1928 to 1941

WWII Communications Equipment
 U.S. Navy & U.S. Army Signal Corps  1941 to 1945

Commercial & Military
Communications Gear
1932-1941 & 1946-1967

Post-WWII Ham Gear
1946 to 1959

Vintage Broadcast Equipment, RTTY, Telegraph Keys & Vintage Test Equipment

Vintage Microphones
 & Vintage Broadcast Gear
1930 to 1950s

Radio Teletype - RTTY - with Real Machines
includes TTY Machines, Military TUs and Amateur TUs

Telegraph Keys - 1900 to 1955
"From Straight Keys to Bugs"
Hand Keys and Semi-Automatic Telegraph Keys

Vintage Test Equipment
1900 to 1970

Includes Tube Testers, Freq Meters, Wobulators and More

 

Radio Boulevard
Western Historic Radio Museum

 Vintage Radio Communication Equipment Rebuilding & Restoration Articles,

 Vintage Radio History and WHRM Radio Photo Galleries

1909 - 1959

 

 

This website created and maintained by: Henry Rogers - Radio Boulevard, Western Historic Radio Museum 1997/2017